Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Distributed SSH username/password brute forceattack

From: nocfed <nocfed () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 19:11:40 -0500

On 10/22/07, Anders B Jansson <hdw () kallisti se> wrote:
A.L.M.Buxey () lboro ac uk wrote:
Hi,

Oct 22 20:36:13 nms sshd[90657]: Failed password for invalid user gopher
from 77.46.152.2 port 55120 ssh2

user/password authentication for SSH?  one way of cleaning up your
logs and killing this type of attack is to reconfigure your OpenSSH
to only allow key based logins. stopped my 10M+ logfiles straight away

An even better way is to punt the attackers to a 'silent drop' table in your firewall.

Cuts your logs to nothing and keeps the kiddies wasting their time.

The latest attack surge is either directed or a bit more clever, haven't seen anything on my random user DSL traps.
--
// hdw

I still say to throw them into a TARPIT table and tag their
connections to throw them into a nice TCP window size of 0.  Currently
I lower unknown connections window size to bring them to a crawl while
known ranges immediately go through.  It's not about blocking all
unknown, but about making the process take up more of their resources.
 A silent drop will take up very little of the worm's time when
compared to a tarpit that can eat up minutes(hours if they do not set
timeouts) per connection.