Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Email Disclaimers...Legally Liable if breached?

From: Ray P <sixsigma98 () hotmail com>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 02:13:44 +0000

US-centric response:

If there is no law, there can be no liability unless a contract exists.

For a contract to exist, consideration (usually money) has been exchanged.

If you simply receive an email by mistake, no consideration has been exchanged.

Consider this angle: If a company adds such a disclaimer, is it a tacit acknowledgment that they have a duty to protect
the contents of the email? If so, is it negligence if they fail to do so by sending it to the wrong person?

Would the _intended_ recipient have a case against the sender for contractual failure to protect confidential
information (or whatever) if the _un_intended recipient posts it somewhere or otherwise discloses its contents?

If a company sends me something in the mail that I did not order, it's mine and I do not have to pay for it.

If a company sends me an unsolicited email, does it become mine? Remember, it wasn't like a package delivered to the
wrong address. The email was delivered to my address with my name on it.

Ray