Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Help with education

From: Timo Schoeler <timo.schoeler () riscworks net>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 22:10:18 +0100

thus Troy spake:
I just read this thread... there's certainly some good advice there...
and the requisite goading by some of the more sardonic personalities on
the list... always a pleasure.

I'm no infosec guru by any means, but as a developer I have more than a
passing interest in the field. Which unfortunately is the exception
rather than the rule in this business.

I read this list every day, and others as  well and one thing I can say
for sure is that you're aiming for a fast moving target... but not an
impossible one to hit.

Dude said:
If you want to be a good Security Consultant at the Technical level it
is important that you have a smattering of everything: programming
networking, administration, etc.. If you walk into a place and expect
to start telling people what to do, you should at least have walked a
mile in their shoes before doing so. This means learning Lotus,
Exchange, Sendmail, Oracle, MySQL and MSSQL, Linux, BSD, Solaris,
Windows, etc, ad infinitum.

That's probably the best advice I've seen in this thread. I've been a
developer/programmer for almost seven years now and have walked in most,
but _not all_ of those shoes, and it really doesn't ever end.

(...)

To sum it up: Know both your friends AND your enemies... :)

Timo