Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Help with education

From: "Dude VanWinkle" <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 22:01:59 -0400

On 7/17/07, Evan Pitstick <bikingnerd () comcast net> wrote:
I am looking to become a security consultant(White hat) in a few years
and I was looking for some advice on the best certifications to get,
graduate level schools and majors, and any web sites that will continue
to help me along my path. I am currently a student at a school in
Atlanta, USA for Information Security and Assurance. Any ideas?

What kind of Security do you enjoy most, Auditing, Pentesting,
Compliance, Programming? I recommend you pick the one you have fun at.
If you dont enjoy any of them, be prepared to be unhappy for a long
time :-)

As far as schools:
I hear www.gatech.edu has a really good program, and its in atlanta.

as far as certs:
CISSP will get you more money, but you will learn more from SANS certs.

If you want to be a good Security Consultant at the Technical level it
is important that you have a smattering of everything: programming
networking, administration, etc.. If you walk into a place and expect
to start telling people what to do, you should at least have walked a
mile in their shoes before doing so. This means learning Lotus,
Exchange, Sendmail, Oracle, MySQL and MSSQL, Linux, BSD, Solaris,
Windows, etc, ad infinitum.

If you want to be a great infosec person, you need to be able to teach
yourself. Much of the territory covered by infosec is new and
unexpected ways of using technology. This cant really be taught.

hth,

-JP