Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: [Full-Disclosure] (Psexec on *NIX)

From: "Tyop?" <tyoptyop () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 16:51:36 +0100

On 2/2/07, Raj Mathur <raju () linux-delhi org> wrote:
On Friday 02 February 2007 12:08, Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:
On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 13:25:11 +0800, Eduardo Tongson said:
On 2/2/07, Xavier Beaudouin <kiwi () oav net> wrote:
<>
Allowing direct root login even with SSH is IMHO stupid...
Please elaborate why is it IYHO stupid.
In environments where more than 1 person has root access, allowing
direct login to root means you can't keep an audit trail of which
person logged in.

And if your environment only one person has root access, that's
just looking for a DoS if the one person is hit by a bus.....

I believe we have had this discussion before, but I'll iterate my
beliefs in favour of allowing direct root access again:

- - Password management is a bitch.  I don't remember passwords for
about half the accounts I have.  Using a key-based root login, I
don't need to remember those passwords either.  If you take the sudo
route, every user has to remember each password for each account,
unless you take the deprecated route of reusing passwords (or
*horrors* allow sudo without password).

key-based login without passphrase is like eating cheese without
bred. useless (IMHO).

- - With a little bit of configuration, it's easy to figure out which
key was used to login to an account; the audit trail can be managed
that way.
- - Managing which users have access to which root accounts is trivial
this way: just add or delete their keys from .ssh/authorized_keys[2].

Totally agree.

--
Tyop?
http://altmylife.blogspot.com