Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Vista Speech recognition

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2007 10:38:06 -0500

On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 16:23:24 +0100, Thierry Zoller said:
With all due respect, I think you are crying wolf a tad bit too much.
Speech recognition is inherently unreliable, (btw remember the presentation
they gave?). Since you deem the problem as remotely exploitable,let's ignore
for one that I have to actively browse to a website and as such be physically
in front of the PC and assume we use XSS to zombie the browser and play the
audio 5 minutes later.  Then we assume there is not too much background
noise, assume the audio level is ok, assume the microphone is on,
assume Speech recognition is used, assume audio is on, and so forth.

Too many assumption to make it a real risk for me remotely, sorry. That's
my personal opinion. Is is a vulnerability ? Yes. Is it likely to work
100% like a good crafted exploit? No

On the other hand, it's the sort of attack that is really handy to have
if you're doing a targeted attack against a corporation - send a crafted
spam that delivers the XSS to zombie the box, sleep for a few hours, and
when nobody's left in the office, crank up the volume and yell "PANTS DOWN!"
to every computer within range.... :)

(Remember - the average office is nice and quiet at 11PM if the janitors
aren't around - and nobody ever *said* the computer making the noise was
the one getting pwned... :)