Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Captive Portal bypassing

From: gmaggro <gmaggro () rogers com>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 12:21:43 -0500

If there were an easy to use (gold standard == nmap) and robust tool
capable of bypassing all commonly used captive portals, that would make
for a great 'mischief enabler'.

Some googled links for the lazy lurkers...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captive_portal
http://www.eusecwest.com/esw06/esw06-blancher.pdf
http://www.semicomplete.com/blog/2007/Aug/11

Which in turn mentions Kaminksy's (yay Kaminsky!) OzyManDNS via
http://taint.org/wk/RunningOzyManDNS
http://www.doxpara.com/ozymandns_src_0.1.tgz

...and a ton of other searching resulting in alot of reading regarding
the usual software flaws, poor implementations (did I repeat myself
there?), etc. I do not see anything that prevents the rolling-up of all
applicable bypass techniques into a single tool. Preferably one written
to be as portable as possible.

Is anyone actively working on this that would care to share? Anyone want
to point out flaws in the idea or make suggestions? Might make for a
good 'con paper & presentation if anyone out there was looking for
something to do.