Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Windows .ANI LoadAniIcon Stack Overflow

From: "Jason Areff" <hailtheczar () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2007 09:26:58 -0500

On 4/2/07, Larry Seltzer <Larry () larryseltzer com> wrote:

LS>Heap spraying implies running code in the heap,
JA>Actually, um.. no.. it doesn't

My understanding of heap spraying comes from
http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/638: "...SkyLined's heap
spraying techqniue
(http://sf-freedom.blogspot.com/2006/07/heap-spraying-internet-exploiter
.html) (the concept of this technique is that you inject the nop +
shellcode into the heap memory and use some method to trick the eip jump
into that heap ..."

Sure sounds like running code in the heap to me.

"Heap spraying" is filling the heap with controllable data... This is simply
allocating things in the heap. NOT running code.

You are trying to say that once you jump into that code via some exploit
(NOT part of the heap spraying technique itself) THEN you are "running code
in the heap".

JA>How do you get to be in that position? Lot's of buzzword-tossing I'd
have to guess.

Fuck you too.

Larry Seltzer
eWEEK.com Security Center Editor