Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Windows .ANI LoadAniIcon Stack Overflow

From: "Jason Areff" <hailtheczar () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2007 09:12:39 -0500

On 4/2/07, Larry Seltzer <Larry () larryseltzer com> wrote:

AS> A much simpler solution is to use heap spraying (which works fine on

AS> Vista) for systems that don't have DEP enabled.
TZ> Are we talking Sofware DEP or Hardware enforce DEP ?

Heap spraying implies running code in the heap,

Actually, um.. no.. it doesn't

which any DEP should
block. There are all kinds of software techniques that would detect heap
spraying. I'm sure any HIPS would block it.

Most likely not with regard to sotirov's new heap library stuff.

Larry Seltzer
eWEEK.com Security Center Editor
http://security.eweek.com/
http://blog.eweek.com/blogs/larry%5Fseltzer/
Contributing Editor, PC Magazine
larryseltzer () ziffdavis com

How do you get to be in that position? Lot's of buzzword-tossing I'd have to
guess.