Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: WEEPING FOR WEP

From: Michael Holstein <michael.holstein () csuohio edu>
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2007 16:07:53 -0400

   * Intent: This is a biggie. If someone trespassed on your
private network through an open wireless access point, then proving
digital trespassing can be very difficult. However, if the user
must bypass your minimalist WEP security, then they clearly show
intent to trespass.

Accessing it is different than listening to it. Assuming I don't do ARP
replay or other L2 games because I'm impatient, I've never really
"trespassed" since you were blasting your signal into a public area, and
it's an unlicensed band.

(IANAL .. anyone have a case law link for the above conjecture?)

Consider WEP like a low fence around a swimming pool. Without the
fence, you are in trouble if a neighborhood kid drowns in the pool.
It's an "attractive nuisance". However, with the fence, you should
be covered if a kid climbs the fence and drowns. It's still bad,
but you have a standing to refute blamed since you put up a
barrier, even if the barrier was minimal.

Depends .. can they convince the jury that your fence wasn't *really*
tall enough? Remember .. here in the US, store owners get sued because a
burglar falls through the roof during the course of a break-in.

Put another way, if I use a system known to be ineffective (a twist-tie
on a gate lock, to use the above "pool" example) it could be plausibly
argued that you in effect made no effort at all.

Once someone writes a network widget that automates the (capture ->
crack -> connect) process, it could probably argued the same way for WEP
(again .. IANAL).

~Mike.