Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: WEEPING FOR WEP

From: Michael Holstein <michael.holstein () csuohio edu>
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2007 15:50:06 -0400

I use WEP at home, even though my house is far enough from the road to
make it rather difficult for someone to jump on my network.

Really? Like how far?

I've done point-to-multipoint (me with 24db parabolic, them with a
standard omni) at 6 miles (granted, I was on the 12th floor of a building).

Even if someone decided to hide in the woods at the edge of my yard with
a laptop they're more likely to be eaten by a bear, sprayed by a skunk,
or chewed alive by mosquitoes

2 Linksys boxes running OpenWRT and a decent battery (actually using WDS
you could have a whole string of such devices) sort of negates the
mosquito/bear/skunk problem if you're so far away that you can't be
found with a reasonably high-gain antenna.

WEP is basically a screen door, and always has been.

~Mike.