Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Putty Proxy login/password discolsure....

From: Paul Schmehl <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 14:20:10 -0500

--On Wednesday, October 25, 2006 15:18:10 -0400 Matthew Flaschen <matthew.flaschen () gatech edu> wrote:

Sorry, I shouldn't have implied that was only true of Windows.  However,
you CAN'T access encrypted data with physical drive access.

Not even that is true. You can always *access* the data. Depending upon the type and complexity of the encryption, it may take a while to decrypt, but once I have physical access, I have both the data and the time to do just that. *Most* of the "encryption" schemes for things like passwords that used to be stored in plain text (until somebody pointed it out) are fairly trivial and easily broken.

Even if they're not, I may be able to use the program itself to decrypt the password and then capture it in plain text in memory.

Again, once you have physical access, it's game over, plain and simple.

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Senior Information Security Analyst
The University of Texas at Dallas
http://www.utdallas.edu/ir/security/