Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Putty Proxy login/password discolsure....

From: Matthew Flaschen <matthew.flaschen () gatech edu>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 15:18:10 -0400

Sorry, I shouldn't have implied that was only true of Windows.  However,
  you CAN'T access encrypted data with physical drive access.

Matt Flaschen

Windows offers no security against local users.  It is trivial to boot to
a program like ERD Commander and replace admin passwords.  On the other
hand, PuTTy is meant to protect against everyone; that's why it doesn't
allow saved passwords.  Thus, this seems like a vulnerability to me.

Unix offers no security against local users either.  If I can sit at the
console, I can login in single user mode, mount the drives rw and edit
/etc/passwd all day.

Furthermore, I can take any hard drive, with any file system on it, and
with the right tools I can read everything on the drive, even deleted
stuff.

So what's your point?  That when you own the box you own the box?

If you first have to own the box to get to the information, then it's
not a vulnerability.  It's not best practice, but it's not a vulnerability.

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Senior Information Security Analyst
The University of Texas at Dallas
http://www.utdallas.edu/ir/security/