Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Which is more secure? Oracle vs. Microsoft

From: "David Litchfield" <davidl () ngssoftware com>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 17:15:29 -0000

But you are comparing apples and oranges. Oracle is a much more complex
product and has a lot more features than SQL Server. It's a little bit
like
comparing an Airbus with a Cesna. Both are airplanes...

I disagree. The amount of attack surface has everything thing to do with
security robustness.

Oracle 10g Rel. 2 for example has 17,261 PL/SQL- functions and procedures
(select count(*) from all_procedures, default installation with samples).

Exactly my point. Oracle should install with as few components as possible -
it should be secure out of the box - and it is not.

The following bugs are Oracle application server bugs (Oracle Portal
9.0.2)
and  not RDBMS bugs. Oracle looks a little bit better now (- 6 security
bugs)...

wwv_form.genpopuplist SQL Inj., Alert 61, CVE-2003-1193
wwv_ui_lovf.show SQL Inj., Alert 61, CVE-2003-1193
ORG_CHART.SHOW SQL Inj., Alert 61, CVE-2003-1193
wwa_app_module.link SQL Inj., Alert 61, CVE-2003-1193
wwv_dynxml_generator.show, Alert 61,CVE-2003-1193

You're wrong. Whilst they might be installed with the portal app these are
PL/SQL packages in the database server. If you want these removed then I
should remove the SQLXML stuff from SQL Server as it's an add on component.

The SOAP bug (Alert 65) is not a RDBMS bug
   (see
http://www.oracle.com/technology/deploy/security/pdf/2004alert65.pdf)

Again you're wrong. If you take another look at the link you provided it
says that "Oracle9i Database Server Release 2, versions 9.2.01 and later"
are affected. The problem lies in soap.jar and can be exploited via the
RDBMS.

Cheers,
David