Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Five Ways to Screw Up SSL

From: Michael Holstein <michael.holstein () csuohio edu>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 08:56:23 -0400

Why would it matter who signed it? As long as the data is encrypted as
it travels over the internet, I am happy.

Because encrypted is only half the battle. Trusting that $entity is really $entity is the other half.

Most end-users aren't smart enough to verify that when they hit https://www.chase.com (or whatever) that the other end really *is* Chase -- that's what they pay Verisign for -- because we have at least *some* faith that Verisign took the time to ensure they issued it to the right person.

Nevermind that certificates get issued to things like chase-inc.com and the wrong people. That's another problem.

/mike.