Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Five Ways to Screw Up SSL

From: Florian Weimer <fw () deneb enyo de>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 07:43:47 +0200

* Michal Zalewski:

SSL Mistake #2 - Assuming a signed certificate is the right
certificate

I don't understand what you're trying to say here: it seems to me that
you're suggesting that allowing all users with a valid certificate the
same privileges is a bad idea. Probably, but this has little to do with
certificates or SSL - the same may be true for passwords or any other
scheme.

There are some APIs in wide use which encourage this kind of misuse
(authenticate the CA, not the certificate holder) because doing it
right is somewhat difficult or allegedly has a performance impact
(copying the entire certificate to an environment variable, for
example).

SSL Mistake #3 - Falling back to TCP

You are very, very seriously confused about the relation between SSL, TCP,
and just about everything else.

Fallback to non-encrypted connections is quite common for protocols
like SMTP and IMAP.  I doubt this is a significant issue.  Protection
against passive eavesdropping is better than no protection at all.