Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Patterns and Security Measurement

From: "eric williams" <nfobro () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2006 14:51:20 -0400

On 5/5/06, Nguyen Pham <nguyen.petronius () gmail com> wrote:

Hi list,

Actually, I am trying to measure security (and then security assurance)
level of a complex telecommunication network. I am looking for a
method/approach/product using sets of predefined, standard entities
(station, server, firewall, router, ...) and relations (forming "patterns"
like pipe, cluster, bus, gateway, ..., architectures) which have already
been measured to simplify the process of system security measurement. An
aggregation algorithm is then needed to arrive at an overall system security
value.

Any recommendation of academic or industrial solutions would be welcome.

Depending on your status w.r.t. US based offerings there are two NSA
sanctioned methodologies for assessment of complex information system
infrastructures and information security.  The INFOSEC Assessment
Methodology and the INFOSEC Evaluation Methodology (IAM and IEM,
respectively).

I can recommend both highly.  Given what you have posted I think the
IEM would be your best bet.  Again, accessing these methods will
depend on your status with respect to US Gov't affiliated offerings.

http://www.iatrp.com/iam.cfm
http://www.iatrp.com/iem.cfm

Other suggestions for solving the problem (security measurement of complex
network) are also greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

no problema.

-e