Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: HTTP AUTH BASIC monowall.

From: Mark Coleman <securitylistgrok () uniontown com>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 10:43:17 -0500

At the risk of being flamed, I'll chime in with this since I don't think it's been mentioned as an alternative:

How about SecurID one-time passwords? Ride the HTTP Auth on SSL which hides it all, and a Malcolm in the Middle attack just gets username/PIN and a one-time password (MitM gives ability to DoS lockout your account).

-Mark Coleman

gboyce wrote:
Ok, so what's your alternative?

You're already assuming that the user of the firewall is already misusing SSL. They need to blindly accept unsigned SSL certificates, and changes to the certificates. Just about any security restrictions you can apply can be done away with if the user is incompetant enough.

Some form of challenge response? If you can already perform a man in the middle attack, than challenge response is just as vulnerable. Just connect to the server when the client hits you, and pass them the challenge you recieved. Use the credential yourself, and pass them a failure. When they try again, connect them to the server.