Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: HTTP AUTH BASIC monowall.

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 09:33:59 +1300

Simon Smith wrote:

    My concern isn't firewall management. My concern isn't with SSL
going over the Internet. My concern is more with SSL on a LAN and that
this IT tool and other similar tools can be compromised easily once a
LAN is penetrated. Providing an extra layer of security within the SSL
tunnel would help to prevent this tool and others like it from being
compromised so easily. My first thought was on how to harden the
authentication because the basic auth didn't cut it for me. Thats what I
am looking for ideas for.

So, buy decent switches -- you know, properly configurable, managed
ones -- and implement strict access control policies for _ALL_
equipment connected to the LAN.  Machine0001 with MAC ###### must
connect to port 123 in room 101 of Building 3, etc, etc.  Disable _ALL_
unused ports.  Prevent all unknown devices from accessing the LAN at
all.  Set serious alarms on all unknown device appearances,
"unexpected" device disconnections, etc.

It's still not perfect, but _nothing is_ remember...

However, it will also (partly) fix a whole bunch of other problems for
you as well.

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald