Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Re: Question about Mac OS X 10.4 Security

From: Paul Schmehl <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2006 16:20:45 -0600

--On Thursday, March 02, 2006 08:57:18 +1100 mz4ph0d () gmail com wrote:

Sorry to spoil everyone's fun.

Maybe, just maybe, Apple are actually better (able/positioned) to
respond quickly to vulnerabilities before the exploits in-the-wild
affect more than 50 people? Who knows.

It doesn't look like it. They seem to have addressed the vulnerability as it applies to Safari, but not the underlying vulnerability. If I send you an email, with a zip attachment (naming and extension is irrelevant), and I can get you to attempt to open the attachment (fairly trivial with many users), I can execute abitrary code on your machine. The only "restriction" is that, if I attempt to execute code that requires admin privileges, I'd have to convince you to type in your password (again, fairly trivial for most users.)

So, Apple hasn't fully addressed this problem yet. (Trust me, I've tested it.) If you are responsible for Macs and you haven't read this yet, you need to:

<http://isc.sans.org/diary.php?storyid=1138&rss> (Don't click the PoC link if you're using a Mac!)

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
University of Texas at Dallas