Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Hello everyone

From: "Ian stuart Turnbull" <ian.t7 () hotmail co uk>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 16:05:58 +0100

I have just started in this "hacking" [ethical I should quickly add] and after much reading etc [and a forest more to do] I have a fundamental question I'd like to pose. After just a few hours of scanning (I have to start somewhere} I have located quite a few routers that have their manufacturers password still set not to mention loads of Windows machines that have port 139 open AND have write access to the whole of the C: Drive in some instances.

My question - since it is these machines that I understand will be the computers that the hacker will use to hide him/her self and given that there are tools around - just that I don't know of one yet - WHY doesn't someone send a message to these machines that the owner will see and ASK them politely to close up these holes? Perhaps something along the "net send" command. I'm sure they would love to be enligtened. i.e. their banking info etc won't be stolen.

If given the knowledge I'd be happy to devote a day or so doing just this. Currently I don't yet have enough skills.

Yes, I know someone somewhere must have asked this question, though I haven't found any instance of it, so please don't flame me. I am here to LEARN from obviously well instructed and knowledgeable people.

Also, forgive me if I appear naive - at this point I admit I definately am but that will change in time to come.

I'd love to help make the internet a safer place. It is a truly great invention but for a few darksided individuals. Just because one has the knowledge doesn't mean they have to ruin it for others !!