Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: UnAnonymizer

From: Peter Besenbruch <prb () lava net>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 23:29:14 -1000

Cardoso wrote:
> If the app uses an unknow DNS server, I think it's enough of a risk to
> worry about.

I refer folks to the following page on TOR:

"Using privoxy is necessary because browsers leak your DNS requests when they use a SOCKS proxy directly, which is bad for your anonymity."
http://tor.eff.org/docs/tor-doc-unix.html.en

That means, your DNS server becomes the DNS server used by the TOR exit node. I have no idea how many DNS servers operate with poisoned caches, and the like. If I wanted to do some financial transaction, I think Cardoso is suggesting a direct connection, instead. In earlier discussions, people argued that an SSL connection offered some protection, or warning about pharming attacks.

--
Hawaiian Astronomical Society: http://www.hawastsoc.org
HAS Deepsky Atlas: http://www.hawastsoc.org/deepsky