Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Tool Release - Tor Blocker

From: "Marco Ermini" <markoer () markoer org>
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2006 01:31:10 +0200

On 6/4/06, Bill Weiss <houdini+full-disclosure () clanspum net> wrote:
[...]
1) Where did you get that list from?  The Tor server I run (which has
been up continually for over a year) isn't in it.

2) Some of us use our Tor servers for "legitimate" traffic as well.
You'll block all of that traffic.  Are you sure you don't want the
traffic of the 50+ people who use this server?

That's the same for me...

3) I think you've just suggested giving a webpage (one which may be
hostile towards your goals) control over who can and cannot access your
web server.  What happens if one day that CGI hands you a list containing
every IP in your /24?  I know that, if I ran said webpage, I would be
tempted to do so every once in a while.

Even if you're looking for addresses in your own address space, what
about other useful pages?  Business partners, customers, etc.

4) As others have pointed out, bad choice of a signature for the
beginning of this thread :)

5) Rebuilding (reinserting, etc) the module every time the nodes list
changed (> 1 / day) would suck.

And these points are good, too.

Cheers
--