Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: **SPAM** Weird... www.eon8.com

From: "Michael Simpson" <mikie.simpson () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2006 09:26:02 +0100

On 7/1/06, Juha-Matti Laurio <juha-matti.laurio () netti fi> wrote:

Sometimes checking the cached Google version gives some basic information
without visiting an url.
But when choosing 'Show Google's cache of www.eon8.com/'
my Firefox says Transferring data from www.eon8.com...
This is weird and not expected, because I have never visited this site.

Cached version was saved on 22nd Jun. It shows Googlebot's IP at main
page:
IP: 66.249.66.207 User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Googlebot/2.1;
+http://www.google.com/bot.html)

I.e. why there is traffic to eon8.com at all?

- Juha-Matti

it happens because google doesn't cache the images, only the text
therefore the standard cached page ending with "&strip=0" still contacts the
page's server for the current images

changing the value of strip to 1 means that you only access google and won't
appear in the target webserver's logs

this is all documented by Johnny Long at johnny.ihackstuff.com