Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Vulnerability/Penetration Testing Tools

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 12:14:24 -0500

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 08:13:05 CST, "Madison, Marc" said:
H D, my apologize.  My FD emails were out of order, and I took your
response out of context.  If your looking for a script that will combine
MetaSploit, and Nessus then BidiBLAH will work.  Still for $10 grand I
would suggest taking a scripting class at your local college so you can
make your own BidiBlah.

Math:
BidiBLAH:                             $10,000
College scripting class:              $350

The knowledge you'll gain for ever, priceless.

Something to keep in mind however - many people make that comparison, and
don't calculate the *TOTAL* cost.

If your developer is getting paid $60K/year, the *encumbered* cost (benefits,
office, etc) is close to twice that.  And if he's writing an in-house BidiBLAh,
that's time he's *not* writing stuff you *can't* buy off-the-shelf.
As a result, it breaks out as:

BidiBLAH:         $10,000

scripting clss:      $350
6 man-weeks time: $15,000

OK? Got that?  Suddenly doesn't look like such a good deal, does it?  Maybe
you *should* just buy BidiBLAH, and have that guy coding that custom interface
between two in-house systems instead....

(And don't say "I only pay my developer $30K, so he can take 2 man-months to
do it" - the kind of developer you can keep for $30K is probably going to take
a lot more than twice as long as the $60K developer.....)