Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Question for the Windows pros

From: Stuart Dunkeld <stuartd () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 16:54:38 +0000

On 18/01/06, Paul Schmehl <pauls () utdallas edu> wrote:

What are the risks associated with granting Authenticated Users (AD 2003)
the Impersonate client after authentication privilege?  I've googled and
read endlessly repetitive explanations for what the privilege is (most of
them nearly incomprehensible), but I have yet to find anyone who
articulates the risks associated with such a change.

"Assigning this privilege to a user allows programs running on behalf
of that user to impersonate a client. Requiring this user right for
this kind of impersonation prevents an unauthorized user from
convincing a client to connect (for example, by remote procedure call
(RPC) or named pipes) to a service that they have created and then
impersonating that client, which can elevate the unauthorized user's
permissions to administrative or system levels." [1]

regards

stuartd

[1]
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/library/ServerHelp/fe1fb475-4bc8-484b-9828-a096262b54ca.mspx