Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Compromised hosts lists

From: James Lay <jlay () slave-tothe-box net>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 07:09:58 -0700

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 22:40:00 -0500
Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 16:55:06 MST, James Lay said:
I had heard tale of a site that had a semi-updated list of
compromised hosts.  I was hoping that someone knows that
link...would LOVE to be able to get my firewall to get this list
and auto-create an iptables rule.  Thanks all!

That's ass backwards.

The secure way to do this is to first deny *all* traffic, and then add
specific rules for machines that you *do* want to talk to.

Think for a bit - if some random cablemodem in another timezone is on
the list, why should you stop packets from it?  Why would you want to
accept packets *before* it showed up on the list?  Why do you still
want to accept packets from *other* boxes in the same /24 or /16?

I completely agree for ports that I would have closed, but obviously I
could not simply deny *all* traffic for port 25 and 80 let's say, as I
want them open to the public.

James