Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Compromised hosts lists

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 22:40:00 -0500

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 16:55:06 MST, James Lay said:
I had heard tale of a site that had a semi-updated list of compromised
hosts.  I was hoping that someone knows that link...would LOVE to be
able to get my firewall to get this list and auto-create an iptables
rule.  Thanks all!

That's ass backwards.

The secure way to do this is to first deny *all* traffic, and then add
specific rules for machines that you *do* want to talk to.

Think for a bit - if some random cablemodem in another timezone is on the list,
why should you stop packets from it?  Why would you want to accept packets
*before* it showed up on the list?  Why do you still want to accept packets
from *other* boxes in the same /24 or /16?