Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: blocking Google Desktop

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 13:17:00 -0500

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 23:38:41 +0530, Prabhat Sharma said:

I am using Google desktop version 4. By default search across computers is
not enabled. Can someone explain me why all the noise if I just don't use
the feature.

The noise is because many of us have dozens, or hundreds, or thousands of
users we're responsible for, who *will* enable it because it looks cool, not
realizing the security implications.  A significant fraction will enable it
Just Because, even though they then never actually *use* the functionality....