Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: blocking Google Desktop

From: Line Noise <300baud () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 11:29:34 -0800

On 2/10/06, Michael Holstein <michael.holstein () csuohio edu> wrote:
Sorry, but explain? You mean something beyond the index of your
personal data then? Did they add something beyond that?

Yes, version 4 adds the ability to "access your documents from anywhere"
-- meaning they're sent to Google's Servers.

Not just sent there; stored there for one month (part of the
"agreement", oh my children). Oh, yes, I'd like to have everyone store
everything with Google. Do they really think they have a lock on
security? It makes any attempts to compromise Google's servers
*extremely* worth while.

EFF's article about it :

http://www.eff.org/news/archives/2006_02.php#004400

I'm still trying to help them understand why stuffing a "Chat"
(mis)feature into gmail is a problem. No way to turn it off, and each
account that gets it, starts up with it enabled. Oh, boy, I really
want the world to know when I'm "on line" (especially when it
helpfully adds every person who sends you email to your "Contacts"
list).  So far, I've received an email from them, patting me on the
head, and telling me that I need to read the help menus better.
"Disable" and "Off" seem not to be in their vocabulary.

I would also venture to say that they should be publicizing
information for corporations to be able to block this wholesale
(google desktop and gmail chat), since we all know there are financial
institutions where people work, and think nothing of saving customer
data onto laptops.

I liked gmail. Easy to use, accessible everywhere, anonymous (okay,
pseudo-anonymous). Pity.

--

NO CARRIER