Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Re: Gmail emails issue

From: "John Dietz" <www.whitewolf () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2006 15:13:16 -0500

Yes, I realize SSL is not that secure either, but I was just using it as an
example in comparison to plain ole pure-text email.  The point I was making
is not to assume your emails are in any way private/secure.  You must use
something else if you want any kind of "secure" communications medium.
There are plenty of solutions out there with varying levels of security, but
I had no intent on going through these and comparing them all.

On 8/4/06, L. Victor <fullblaststorm () gmail com> wrote:

  2006/8/5, Denis Jedig < seclists () syneticon de>:

> > On Fri, 4 Aug 2006 11:45:01 -0500 John Dietz wrote:
> > > if it were.  If the information you are sending/receiving is of a
> > > particularly sensitive nature, I would suggest you find some other
> > medium,
> > > such as SSL with encryption.

Even connections with SSL can be dumped, analysed by providers and
successfully decrypted in some cases such as if only the destination server
has its own sertificate, but user doesn't.

--
There is intelligence is in having all the answers, but wisdom lies in
knowing which of the questions to answer.