Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: MSIE (mshtml.dll) OBJECT tag vulnerability

From: Peter Besenbruch <prb () lava net>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 06:36:01 -1000

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006, Brian Eaton wrote:

Please note that I ask this out of curiousity, and not in an attempt to
be critical. Why not give MSRC a head start of one week?

Michal Zalewski wrote:

Because, among other things I've already mentioned, it will in no way
affect when they're going to release a patch. Their official policy is to
stick to a weird schedule.

Unfortunately, given Microsoft's recent behavior, Michal's right. Further, I too have seen the data showing much faster response times when Microsoft is blindsided. The only question that remains is whether some inherent sense of fairness on the part of the reporter dictates notifying the vendor first, even though it likely won't do any good.

--
Hawaiian Astronomical Society: http://www.hawastsoc.org
HAS Deepsky Atlas: http://www.hawastsoc.org/deepsky