Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: What is wrong with schools these days?

From: bkfsec <bkfsec () sdf lonestar org>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 15:34:26 -0400

Bill Stout wrote:

You know, having made a few NTexploit lists in the past, I wanted to
make the point the M$ was less secure.  Unfortunately the facts were
against me.

Two IIS 6.0 vulnerabilities reported from 2003-2006 http://secunia.com/product/1438/ Twenty-eight Apache 2.0 vulnerabilities reported from 2003-2006
http://secunia.com/product/73/

Paul is right.

I would never suggest a Windows admin use UNIX, or visa-versa.  A
product is only as secure as it's configured.

Facts and statistics are two different things, my friend.

I'm not saying that Paul's specifically wrong... he's not. Just that those statistics aren't the end of the road for the "facts". Lots of other factors play into things.

What I usually say is that if run by a clueful administrator with an eye to system audit, control, and security, a Free Software system _can_ be made more secure than a proprietary system, particularly a Microsoft based solution. Now, given equal setup time, resources, and management backing for the project -- well, that may be a different story. But you can't blame the *nix systems for being hamstrung by a lack of resources. :)

I stand by that statement. And would happily point out that if you run any system without configuring it with an eye to security, you're probably going to have a problem.

            -bkfsec