Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Re: Shell accounts

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 15:11:41 -0400

On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 11:14:14 EDT, Neil Davis said:
/signed
I've seen people getting busted like this on the news. If the crime
crosses state boundaries, is reported, and totals more than 5k, you've
made the FBI's (very long) list of activity to investigate.

There's a court case that establishes that the costs of forensics/etc to determine
the scope of the intrusion can be counted towards that $5K. Interestingly enough,
that same case also resulted in the ruling that mere port scanning didn't count
as an intrusion.

I don't have the case citation handy, but I'm sure somebody on the list does...