Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Shell accounts

From: poo <skodliv () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 16:18:43 +0200

use an unencrypted wireless network or crack one with wep using the auditor
cd
and laugh all the way to the bank

On 4/12/06, Joachim Schipper <j.schipper () math uu nl> wrote:

On Tue, Apr 11, 2006 at 11:48:41PM +0100, Ian stuart Turnbull wrote:
Ha Ha. Yes, not a proper fiend hey. But I take it that I would be
anonymous
technically.
If I were to do it for real I'd probably set up an internet connection
in
an assumed name complete with a fake bank account so there'd be no one
for
the cops to berate, just the computer [with no logs] to kick.

Not leaving log files is not that easy. And it becomes harder when
someone can get physical access to install all sorts of nifty add-ons.

Also, note that log files are only useful if the police arrive with a
search warrant or something along those lines - the ISP will just
terminate the account, keep the money, and tell your friend to f**k off.
It would be difficult to do something about this, especially since the
ISP is likely able to wave around some logs of their own.

Come to think of it, that's one more log file that will be difficult to
clear. Whether or not it is made at all depends on the ISP, and mostly
on the domestic laws whereever you live.

               Joachim

--
smile tomorrow will be worse