Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: obtai an IP of an MSN Messenger contact

From: Vidar Løkken <vidarlo () vestdata no>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 20:11:42 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 5 Apr 2006, n3td3v wrote:

If you want the IP of a user on Yahoo Messenger, all you do is add a user to
your list with social engineering techniques, then you listen on port 5101
and send the victim a normal instant message. Yahoo compromises security in
that way by attempting to establish a peer to peer connection between
consumer clients, to save on server useage. Yahoo don't care how easy it is
to obtain a users IP by simply sending someone an instant message. Yahoo say
the fact you need to add each other to a friends list first is good enough
security to protect its users.

I don't see this as a problem really, since it is trivial to lure a user into a website one controles, by sending a unique url to someone. Besides, a IP is not a sensitive piece of information in any way, as you leave it at any website you surf by. Could you care to explain why I should care if Joe R. Andom Cracker has my from yahoo IM?

--
Regards,
Vidar