Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Re: Is the Bottom Line Impacted by Security Breaches?

From: IRCGNet <ircgnet () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 02:29:36 -0700

Michael Holstein wrote:
I'm not so sure it's that simple... People were aware of it.

Um .. but *which* 40mil was it? Am I one of them? Hearing that 40mil random people got nicked is one thing .. me getting a letter from MBNA another.

Mastercard/Visa certianly know .. and so do some member banks, because some of them (in Australia, IIRC) replaced their cards proactively.

Their "logic" behind this is that their "zero liability due to fraud" clauses make it illogical to even care about compromised account numbers .. but anyone that's tried to contest a charge (because most don't let you do it online like AMEX does) .. can attest to what a major PITA that is (certified mail, etc.).

One would hear about such loss from publicly traded companies, similar to
the 4% loss in Q2/2005 due to the Wendy's chili case.

And hopefully .. once they go public .. they'll be held a bit more accountable.

~Mike.

This is old news and was reported over a month ago by many sites including http://www.creditrepaircombat.com/

As for the current card holders, it's my understanding that all cards that were disclosed were replaced so no customers out there who owned these cards have anything to worry about.

Is this still a big issue? You're damned right it is. These credit card companies still need to be held accountable for their lack of security which allowed this hack to begin with. If they spent a tenth that they do on advertising as they did on security, this kind of thing would never (or very unlikely) happen.

Cya,

Michael