Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: IDS features (was: Suggestion for IDS)

From: Kevin Pawloski <kpawloski () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 14:00:58 -0700

Cutting down on false alerts would be a start and by false alerts I mean (in
this case) alerts such as a receiving MS-SQL worm alerts on your Linux
hosts.

Yes, you can setup suppression alerts and disable rules but the larger the
network you monitor the more cumbersome that becomes. SourceFire has their
RNA solution which attempts to cut down on this problem but it isn't all the
way there just yet. (Not to mention that feature comes at an additional
cost)