Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Suggestion for IDS

From: Paul Schmehl <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 10:49:04 -0500

--On Wednesday, September 28, 2005 11:37:38 -0400 Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 07:01:34 EDT, "J. Oquendo" said:

While I do agree with the statement made "Quite frankly, anybody who
already has a PIX installed and wants to install an IPS needs to quantify
*exactly* what protection the PIX is failing to provide before they go
shopping for anything" to a degree, I also disagree with that statement
since it eludes to the thinking that solely a PIX will save your ass. It
won't, nor will any other firewall, nor will any other product combined
with any OTHER product and so on.

Obviously, the original poster isn't thinking that a PIX will save their
ass, because they're in the market for something in addition :)

They should be figuring out *why* they need more protection (quite
frankly, for many places, a *properly configured and maintained* PIX is
quite sufficient),

Not only was the PIX (for us) not sufficient, it wasn't robust enough. We're ditching our PIXes for OpenBSD and pf.

If you NAT a lot, PIX can't handle the load.  It also isn't flexible enough.

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member