Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Re: Full-disclosure Digest, Vol 7, Issue 25

From: Peer Janssen <peer () baden-online de>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 13:45:08 +0200

lonely wolf wrote:

Peer Janssen wrote:

Aditya Deshmukh wrote:

(on system you want to copy)
dd if=/dev/hda | nc otherhost 5000

If you are running bash, then you do not even need netcat:

dd if=/dev/hda > /dev/tcp/otherhost/5000

This is interesting.

Indeed :-)

Which version of bash are you using ? I havent found it in my man page!

My guess is that it probably has nothing to do with bash but with the devices your system provides.
But where is documentation for this kind of useful information anyway?

it's in bash for a long time. however not all distributions compile bash with this option activated. debian for instance does not.

That's good to know, thank you.

My question was somewhat more about finding information about such things, though. (Related: Will a bash compiled with that option automatically include the doc for this feature?)

I never found information about the following recurrent question of mine either: If a plug in an USB storage device, it has a /dev/sg<...> assigned to it. But which one? I need to know this mapping in order to mount it. I always deduce this device's name from the syslog, which works but is a bit of a PITA, so I always wondered if there is no other way to get this info, namely something like lsusb. lsusb, which would be the logical place to look for it, doesn't give away this info, at least not in an easily recognizable form (e.g. I never figured it out). sg_scan and such didn't do the trick for me either, although I might have missed something here.

Peer