Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Re: Full-disclosure Digest, Vol 7, Issue 25

From: fd () ew nsci us
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 20:20:31 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 druid () stonedcoder org wrote:

Purchase? no. You can dd the drive and use a utility to recognize files
within the unallocated space, I just had to do this a couple nights ago
so:

(on system you want to copy)
dd if=/dev/hda | nc otherhost 5000

(on your lappy or whatever)
nc -l -p 5000 | dd of=./blah

That's a cool way to do it!  We always use ssh pipes but the crypto
overhead is sometimes unnecessarily slow.  A great piece of *nixfoo.

-Eric

I was copying from one partition on an old disk to an unpartitioned space
on another disk in another machine, there are a bunch of ways of doing
this but that is a quick and dirty way of copying the readable data on a
drive to another location. You are on your own as far as finding deleted
files, but there are programs available. BTW you can mount that file like
a drive! Read the dd man page and remember "-" == stdin/stdout. I hope
this was useful, I just remembered you asked for a commercial solution for
this implying a lack of linux foo so if this is totally greek I appologize.

BTW: nc == netcat, and you can use a similar trick with tar if you have no
need to find deleted files later. Useful for the sys admins out there, OR
use with ssh for a cheap and dirty crypted file transfer solution (but why
not just use scp..)

--druid

P.S. I am only sharing this because I just had to use this trick (and
failed with the dd btw but thats another issue entirely) and it is pretty
handy for moving data around using a boot cd and a NIC.

Message: 11