Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Forensic help?

From: Ragone_Andrew <kc2lto () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 10:56:28 -0400

I recently destroyed my file structure due to mistakenly writing a
partition table to the wrong hard disk drive on my machine while
installing an experimental version of OS X. The saving factor is that
the partition that may have formatted was only 20GB out of 200GB and
the rest was unallocated free space. I have installed a temporary
instance of WinXP to use data recovery software and recover the
majority of files from the drive (it is installed on the non-corrupted
drive). I ran a scan with R-Studio's awesome NTFS recovery tool and can
only find some of my recognized files here and there with system files
in between. The folders are present as something such as
$$$Folder1546$$ but there is absolutly no file system structure
present. (some is on different "found" under different cluster settings,
etc. using the IntelligiScan). Is there a way to reconstruct the file system
with another
utility using a data forensics linux livecd or other utility? I REALLY
need to get this data recovered and would like to learn how on my own
as first resort.
 I have used iRecover which restructed the file system almost perfectly
but it freezes during the recover (or seems to hang). Are there any other
choices out there? It seems none of the data was truely formatted ...
 -Andrew