Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: Mozilla Firefox "Host:" Buffer Overflow Exploit

From: "Peter Kruse" <kruse () krusesecurity dk>
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 10:24:06 +0200

Hi Skylined,

Thanks for the heads up.

Yes, certainly this is/was remotely exploitable. The good part is, that the
Mozilla Team has released a "workaround"/security patch to fix this issue.
They accomplish this by disabling IDN.

The "What Firefox and Mozilla users should know about the IDN buffer
overflow security issue" can be found at the following URL:
https://addons.mozilla.org/messages/307259.html

A patch for Mozilla Suite and Firefox users can be found here:
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/1.0.6/patches/307259
.xpi

I can confirm that the fix plugs the hole.

Regards
Peter Kruse