Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: Interesting idea for a covert channel or I justdidn't research enough?

From: "Aditya Deshmukh" <aditya.deshmukh () online gateway strangled net>
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2005 07:20:17 +0530

I myself use this method to open up the SSH port for a particular IP
address. When you try to open a particular URL on my website,
you get a 404
because that document doesn't exist. The webserver logs this.
A script in
the background sees in the log that this happened, and opens
up port 22 to
the IP address which requested the non-existant URL.

Aren't these all different versions of portknocking ? All of
them work untill someone outside can figure out the pattern of
events - at most I would call this security by obscurity -
Trivial to detect but good enough for some low security
requirements