Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Interesting idea for a covert channel or I just didn't research enough?

From: mudge <mudge () uidzero org>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 10:22:07 -0400

What you describe would be a variant of 'dead-drop' covert channels.

Other examples would be:

. The use of public message boards where one program/person initiates a connection out to the board and posts a message with particular words/phrases/passages and another program/person scans said message board looking for the 'encoded' messages.

. Web servers that have readable log files where one end of the covert channel accesses certain web pages (existent or non-existent) in a particular order and the other end looks for this message (or alternatively has various combinations of request parameters in the query strings which encodes commands or messages).

. etc. etc.

This type of covert channel has long been used by various governments and organizations (think of clandestine messages being passed to or from agents via personal ads). So, this is not a novel idea but you are correct, there does not exist a tremendous amount of literature on the subject - particularly in the public infosec/comsec communities.

A large percentage of 'dead-drop' covert channels will rely on a shared 'code-book' between both parties.

cheers,

.mudge