Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: Publicly Disclosing A Vulnerability

From: "Todd Towles" <toddtowles () brookshires com>
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 10:22:48 -0500

I would say tell the vendor that they need to issue a fix and a statement. Come to a agree with the vendor on a release
time. It isn't your software and there truly isn't your responible to protect THEIR customers, that is their job. It is
a serious attack it sees and it shouldn't be open in the public. If it is fixed in the new version then a security
release by the vender would give security and network admin at companies the ammo needed to buy the new version. Don't
vendors understand that part..gezz.

Most PHBs need a good reason to upgrade. Security holes are that ammo...

If they fail to protect THEIR customers, then you may have to do what X says...to force their hand. Sad that it even
has to be a option however.