Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Publicly Disclosing A Vulnerability

From: phased <phased () mail ru>
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2005 19:15:27 +0400

Firstly, html email sucks!
Secondly, I think the situation has no preferable solution from a customer
stand point.

Disclosure

Exposes customers to unprepared risk by mallicious intruders with the knowledge of the vulnerability.  While vendor
writes a patch, customers are potentially at risk for an undefined period of time.

People who know about it: everyone!
Scenario: Mad rush to write and install patches before system gets compromised
Propogation windows for virii and worms
---------------

Non-Disclosure

Safe only from people who dont know about the vulnerability.

People who know about it, either:

Work for the company
People with agreements on its disclosure
Mallicous intruder that has obtained the information

Scenario: No patch, if an intruder gets hold of the information and starts
compromising systems and or writes a worm, there will be the same mad rush
as the disclosure scenario as people start to possibly notice.

The risk reduction assosciated with non-disclosure is based on the probability
that a mallicious intruder will not obtain the information or discover it
themselves before the patch is released to customers.

However even when the patch is released, there is the same disclosure associated infection/compromisation window before
customers can install the
patch.  Even automated systems will not be able to deliver it to every customer
instantaneously.

So to summarise, disclosure is chucking the shit @ the fan and non-disclosure is a gamble.  Both cases do not have an
amazing outcome this is the nature of
vulnerabilities.

However if we look at it from a moral stand point, if the customer has paid
for a peice of software, they deserve to know whats wrong with it.  By reporting bugs you might be increasing the long
term security of the application, but in the short term you can potentially cause a shit storm.

If you look at it from another point of view, why should you report bugs for
free to a company that is making money from some software.

My brief thoughts on the subject.