Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: the "Sony/BMG" virus

From: bkfsec <bkfsec () sdf lonestar org>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 12:04:40 -0500

Kenneth Ng wrote:

They treat us all like cattle, as Barry said.

They treat us like cattle?  I think this treatment is worse than
convicted child molesters.
- You have a EULA that no reasonable person can understand
- If you go bankrupt, you loose rights to the music.
- If you loose the orignals, you loose rights to the music.
- Sony has the right to install anything they want on your computer
and do anything they want.
- Right now the program phones home with info every time you play a
song.  How long before it phones home when you play competitors songs?
Or prevent you from going to an independent music site?
- Trying to remove the rootkit can trash your system
- To get the removal program, you need to sign up for Sony marketing.

If you're saying that I'm understating the situation, then I'd say that you're correct.

And as long as we're speculating on how they're going to use the data they're collecting from the removal process, note that everyone is provided with a "case ID". Roll this around for a minute and think to yourself "Why would Sony want a list of people that they know have removed DRM software from their computers?"

If the term "future law suits for copyright infringement" pops into your head, you wouldn't be alone.

I think that collecting marketing information is only the tip of the iceberg for what they could choose to do with that data.

               -bkfsec