Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Reverse dns

From: Simon Biles <simon.biles () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 14:11:46 +0000

All other debates about it being required or not aside, I recently was
working with someone for whom reverse DNS stopped working properly for
a period. They found that although it didn't "break" some protocols, a
large number of things slowed down while a reverse DNS request timed
out these included ssh and ftp.

Additionally some website authentication mechanisms make use of a
reverse DNS lookup as part of their security, so these would be
affected as well.

Cheers,

Si

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 16:35:49 -0500, Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu