Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Reverse dns (whether you want it or not)

From: "Dave Korn" <davek_throwaway () hotmail com>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 13:48:05 -0000

"TheGesus" wrote in message news:5e70f65305031013083747d7b () mail gmail com...
On this subject (marginally), last year we moved a rather large CIDR
block from one ISP to another.

The new ISP took it upon themselves to give *ALL* our unused IP
addresses a bogus reverse lookup in the (general) format of

10.20.30.40.abc.domain.com

No one asked them to do this (or, at least if they did, they won't
admit to it), and none of the reverse lookups can be looked up
"forwardly".

Is this a common practice?  It doesn't seem like a good idea, but the
ISP insisted it was a "value-added" service.  In my opinion, a dead
address should remain dead.

  It's common.  ISPs don't want to have to update their DNS records with
every single client that logs on or off their network, that would be a lot
of churn and general overhead for no great purpose.

  Plus it's always good to avoid leaking information.  If a lot of those
machines have firewalls that block ping etc, to present a 'stealthed' low
attack profile to the world, it would be a shame to give away the
information about which IPs were genuinely dead and which were firewalled
off but had live machines behind them to anyone who wanted to look it up in
the DNS.

    cheers,
      DaveK